Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Final round

How often are teams coming?
We started having teams at the end of June and they come for 10-12 days... usually we got a day or two in between teams, but not always. Teams ranged from 6 people to 20 something... we had two teams here at a time sometimes so at one time we had 43 people in the house - packed! There were also some individuals or couples that came out this summer for anywhere from 2 weeks to 7 weeks. We just finished with our last team of the summer the first week in August. We have another medical team of 2 coming for the month of October.

How often do you go to the eye clinic?
What other "teams" like the eye clinic are there?
I'm going to lump these together and just explain the Medical Clinic and Caravan. There is a medical clinic here in Libreville that does general consultations, eye consults, and prosthetics. They also have a medical caravan (that we help with) that does general consults and eye consults. They will go to a village and talk to the chief and ask him if he (or sometimes a she) would like to have the medical caravan come to their village, usually they answer yes and set a date. The chief is then responsible for getting the word out. We show up on the agreed date - do a gospel presentation and then a health talk (sometimes about mosquitos, eyes, or health issue depending on the village). Normally when we set up we put the eye clinic in a different building just because she needs a dark room in order to see in their eyes. But we come as a package deal...
(picture of Sharla, Mama Jeanine, Meredith, and Mama Parienne sitting out in front of the building we did the caravan in)

Have you gotten sick?
Not really, oh yeah I did throw up once, but I think that was some bad mayo or a lettuce issue. I really haven't had any noteworthy digestive issues. One time I did have a sinus problem/infection but it went away in a few days. As I write this I'm also remembering the ear infection I had... that was bad, it hurt, but thankfully Mama Jeanine prescribed me some meds! It's nice having a close connection with the medical caravan!!

Would you like anything sent?
Definitely - an airplane with my friends and family on it!!!!
I would love for you to come here and share my experiences! I really want all of you to see/touch/smell/experience this adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment