Thursday, April 9, 2009

Our world

Two excerpts from a book I just finished… thought it appropriate

This book started as a blog that I wrote from my hut in Sudan. It was my attempt to communicate with my family and friends, to help bring them closer to my hot, hot days. It was also a chance to tell the story of Abyei, Sudan, a torn, tiny place straddling a contested border in a difficult country. Mostly, though, it was where I told a story about humans: the people from Abyei who suffered hardships because it was their home, and those of us who left ours with tools to make it easier for them to endure. It is a story that could be told about many places.

it’s not about trying to reconcile two different worlds, it’s about understanding that there’s only one. “

Six Months in Sudan by James Maskalyk


The bold is mine to highlight the parts of his experience that were the same as mine. There is so much to tell, but I haven't figured out how to tell it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment