Thursday, April 2, 2009

Food!

So, what's the food like?
I spent my first weekend at Coco Beach where Mama Jeanette cooked some great meals for us! There were some familiar things we ate: rice, white sweet potatoes, bananas(plantains), and fried fish.

Then there was the manioc, let me describe... it is a root that they grind up and wrap in the leaves of the plant and then let ferment. It did taste a little sour, but otherwise it didn't have much taste.


While we were stopped for lunch, along the road, someone chopped down this palm nut for us.


They used the palm nut to make an orange sauce that they put on the chicken in this photo, and it was really good! Thankfully I didn't spill any on me because it stains!



We've had some Lebanese swarmas(sp?) in Libreville - which are wraps with meat, sauce, onions, and parsley that were really good. We've also had pizza which tasted a little different than in the US, but every pizza comes with olives - so I'm good with that!

2 comments:

  1. I think it is "shawarma". But why did you go all the way to Africa to eat them...I had them in Raleigh with Jordan last summer.

    Enjoyed seeing the food!
    Love you,
    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the ones in Africa are more authentic. :)
    K

    ReplyDelete