Saturday, June 6, 2009

Gabon 3 Togo 0

What does that mean to you... probably not much unless you follow African football (soccer), but to me it means a sleepless night and a lot of noise! Taxis are driving down the streets pressing their horns, more than usual I should say, and shouting out the windows. Many people have painted their faces with the colors of the flag - green, yellow, and blue. The Gabonese are tres contente (very happy) because they won the football match against Togo today in Libreville. I mentioned to Tim about going but he said females don't normally go, mostly because it can be dangerous. He said something about 16 people getting killed at a match in Cote D'Ivoire and suddenly I lost interest. They also don't have assigned seats so it sounds like it could be a workout just to be a spectator.

So I went to youth group again today, but today was a little different because they had a guest speaker - guess who the guest speaker was... three guesses and the first two don't count! Apparently I thought that my french was better than it was. After I tried to communicate in french, someone else had to tell my story for me... translate my french into french they could understand! But it was good and in the end they heard my testimony :)

But as you may have guessed things are always an adventure in Africa... maybe not for the locals but definitely for me...

We left at 2:15 and got to the school at around 3:00... walked the whole way (first time for walking the whole way - yes Dad I'm getting exercise!), but it isn't as far as walking to the church. We sat under a tree and prayed, sang, and listened to some american girl try to speak french! Awesome time worshipping the Lord, on such a beautiful day!
On the way, there was a guy ahead of us herding his bulls, with the horns and all - along the railroad tracks. I don't know why I have stopped carrying my camera with me, but I have got to start carrying it again... hold on I'm going to put it in my purse right now...I'm back.
Ate some flan after the meeting... good stuff... reminds me of my last roommate Michelle, she introduced me to the delicious custard!
So on the way back, we were probably 100 yards from my house and Rachelle sees someone she knows who is waiting in a car. Since her house is farther down the road and she is tired we catch a ride with them. Only we have to wait a few minutes for the driver to get back. So not to offend anyone I squeeze in the back with 3 other people and wait a few minutes to drive the last yards to my house.

1 comment: